Small Business Success Tips
In honor of Mom & Pop Business Day, we’ve researched what small businesses report as the drivers to their success. Here’s what they say:
1) Have a strong customer service strategy.
- Show your customer the love, and they’ll keep coming back.
- Communicate often and accurately.
- Understand what your customers want and deliver it.
2) Grow your business through recommendations.
- Find your raving fans and ask for recommendations and referrals. They are the most powerful form of marketing for new customer acquisition.
- Use social media marketing. It’s an inexpensive way to communicate with your customers and those who follow them.
3) Develop a solid marketing plan.
- Use internal and external research to develop your marketing strategy.
- Identify and understand your target audience.
- Your plan should have a clear objective and details the methodology to execute your marketing strategy.
- 3a) Execute your plan.
- Once you put your plan into action, monitor your customers’ reactions.
- Continue to devise future opportunities and tweak the plan as necessary.
- 3b) Measure your plan success.
- Capture and interpret the data. Your analysis will strengthen your marketing strategy for future growth.
4) Treat your employees with respect.
- Respect their time off, take an interest in their personal life, and help them achieve personal growth.
- Happy employees will always treat your customers well.
Almost all success is driven by a clear vision, hard work, and setting aside time for yourself and family. There are notably several large businesses which grew from traditional mom and pop shops – Spanx, Nike, Ben & Jerry’s, Yankee Candle, Whole Foods, and Dell Computer to name a few. We salute the small businesses who found their niche to survive among the giants.
Source: Ondeck Resource Center